Here are the brief steps of how to recover passwords on Your Cisco Router:
- Type show version to check on the current value of the configuration register. The configuration register is usually set set to 0x2102 or 0x102.
- Turn the router off and turn it back on.
- Within the first 60 seconds, press Ctrl+Break to exit the Boot sequence and enter the Rommon mode.
- In the rommon mode type confreg 0x2142.
- Type reset to get out of the Rommon mode.
- Now the router will reboot and will ignore the saved configuration.
- Now type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config to copy the configuration from the NVRAM to the memory (RAM)
- Now you can change the enable secret and enable password passwords.
- After changing the configuration and retrieving the passwords, we must change back the configuration register to boot from the startup config.
- Finally, we save by typing write memory or copy running-config startup- config.
Recovering Passwords On Cisco Switches
Here are the brief steps of how to recover passwords on Your Cisco Switch:
- Power on the switch and bring it switch: prompt. For 2960, 2970 Release the Mode button when the SYST LED blinks amber and then turns solid green. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks green.
- Now at the switch: prompt issue the flash-init command.
- Issue the load-helper command.
- Now, Issue the dir flash: command to look into the flash.
- Type rename flash: config.text flash:config.old.
- Issue the boot command.
- Enter“n“ at the prompt to abort the initial configuration.
- Now enable at the switch prompt.
- Type rename flash:config.old flash:config.text to rename the configura- tion file with its original name.
- Copy the configuration file into memory using copy flash:config.text system:running-config
- Finally, reset all your passwords and save the configuration onto the NVRAM using write memory.